I wrote last time about a leaf peepers big worry… RAIN! I didn’t mean it was going to rain, only that it could happen. Now some people started shooting their comments to me saying: “WHY DIDN’T YOU WARN ME IT MIGHT RAIN???” Really? I have to warn you on this… 🙂
I asked my readers about some things you might do if it did rain or at least wasn’t sunny. So here are some reader suggestions on what to do if the fall foliage weather doesn’t coöperate. I think most of these you could do almost anytime!
- Gondola ride to the top of a mountain (you pick themtn as almost all will have gondola rides)
- Sipping hot or cold apple cider in the middle of an orchard as you pick your own apples.
- Go to North Conway NH and take their fall foliage train up to Crawford Notch (MAKE RESERVATIONS)
- Finding all the pumpkin people in Jackson NH
- Ride the cog rail $$ to the top of Mt. Washington and stand at the highest point in New England. (or drive it in your car! $)
- See cranberry bogs being harvested in Southeastern Massachusetts.
- A warm cider donut on a cool crisp morning looking off the porch of your B&B.
- Visit one of the North East Kingdom towns holding their fall foliage festival https://www.jeff-foliage.com/fall-festivals/north-east-kingdom-fall-festivals/ Around Oct 1 – Oct 6.
Here is a bonus!
9. A Hot air balloon ride over the fall foliage.. (www.high5ballooning.com, , many others)
10. Mark added: “Staying in a nice tavern sitting next to a fireplace with a cup of coffee with a book about Fall Foliage, waiting for the rain to stop”.
How is that for starters? Many of these can be done to enhance your enjoyment of your fall foliage leaf peeping experience. If you have some ideas then please help out by posting comments!
Or, you can do them in lieu of the fall foliage if (Heaven Forbid) the fall color are just not working for you.
Either way these are some good ideas to while away your vacation days on a New England autumn afternoon.
Jeff "Foliage" Folger
You can purchase images by visiting my Fine Art Gallery websites
but people call me Jeff Foliage.
I have several pages that I write blogs for such as: http://www.4cornersnewengland.com/
My most popular blog is for Leaf peepers: Jeff Foliage.com.
I live in Salem, Massachusetts and work as a blogger and Travel Photographer. I'm also the founder of the New England Photography Guild.
Feel free to visit me on my blogs and see what life in New England is like.
I started with Yankee Magazine as their first blogger on everything fall foliage. Now I blog on my own blog on my favorite subject, telling leaf peepers where the fall foliage is showing up in New England and helping them (to some extent) plan their fall foliage vacations.